Home|About us|Contact us

Energy Performance of Buildings – Building Regulations

On 29 March 2007 the Government implemented the Energy Performance Regulations. The Regulations were brought into force between 19 April 2007 and 4 January 2009.

From 6 April 2008 in England and Wales you will not be able to construct, sell or lease a commercial building over 10,000sqm without providing an Energy Performance Certificate including a recommendation report to a prospective buyer or tenant.

From 1 July 2008 this reduces to 2,500sqm leading to inclusion of all commercial buildings over 50sqm on 1 October 2008. Non compliance will result in failure to complete conveyancing or possible action by trading Standards Officers including fines of up to £5,000.

Also from 1 October 2008 public authorities and public institutions occupying buildings with a usable floor area over 1,000sqm will be obliged to present a Display Energy Certificate in an area clearly visible to the general public.

Energy Performance Certificates and Display Energy Certificates must be accompanied by a report containing recommendations for the improvement of the energy performance of the building. The report has to be issued by the energy assessor who originally issued the Energy Performance Certificate. Failure to provide a recommendation report will incur a £100 fine.

We have access to a range of cost-effective energy solutions that can be tailored to meet your needs.

For existing buildings we can arrange the required certification to keep you compliant with the regulations.

There are also a range of energy performance management services to help you reduce the carbon emissions of your building including:

Energy audits of your buildings where assistance can be provided to help you achieve the targeted energy benchmark as part of the new Regulations.

For new build and refurbishments projects there are guidance and design services available to help you achieve compliance with the new Regulations.

Contact your Genavco Relationship Manager or
Lionel Thomas on 020 7977 1776


Quick Links

Call me back

If you would like to discuss any topic mentioned here or your insurance requirements generally and you would like one of us to call you...>>MORE


Independent assessment of plant and machinery is both important and required by law....>>MORE

Legal Indemnity Insurance

Legal problems relating to the development, purchase or re-mortgaging of land or property can be wide-ranging...>>MORE